16 May Mercy Ships needs you — whether you volunteer, donate or pray for our charity
No matter who you are, there’s a place for you in the Mercy Ships family. We need your support now, more than ever before!
Worldwide, two out of every three people can’t get safe, affordable surgery when they need it. Every year 17 million people die from conditions that are preventable, treatable and curable. That is more than HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria combined. That number is more than the populations of London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Belfast, Dublin, Cardiff and Swansea — combined.
That’s why Mercy Ships needs YOU — whether you choose to give, go or pray.
Our work is possible only through the support of our donors, volunteers and followers. Thanks to you, Mercy Ships has touched more than 2.7 million lives in our 40-year history. It’s an inspiring legacy of hope and healing made possible by providing free surgeries to people in desperate need. Without Mercy Ships, many of these individuals might not have access to surgical care at all.
Mercy Ships is a world-leading surgical charity with a creative approach to healthcare provision and training. We operate the largest charity-run hospital ship in the world, the Africa Mercy, which delivers free, safe medical care to countries across West Africa. Partnering with ministries of health in each nation, Mercy Ships is a guest of the government and committed to meeting the needs of every nation it serves.
More than anything else, Mercy Ships is driven by people. People who give their time and talents to provide life-changing medical care to others in need, people who believe in our mission and support it from near and far through their prayers and gifts, and people whose lives are forever changed thanks to the gift of healthcare.
It takes a crew to run a hospital ship. Some people have medical skills. They are the doctors, nurses, anaesthesiologist, technicians, midwives. They can put their skills and passion to work on our hospital ship, providing free, life-changing surgery to people in desperate need.
Other people have different abilities. They are hairdressers, electricians, teachers, clerks, cooks and carpenters. Without their skills and passion the Africa Mercy could not function. They fill vital roles onboard our hospital ship to keep the ship and hospital functioning, helping to change lives in the process.
In all, more than 1,000 people serve on our hospital ship over the course of a 10-month field service.
Ways to help
There are plenty of ways you can get involved. Here are just a few ideas:
- Give: Becoming a monthly recurring giver is the best way to make a lasting difference and provide a full year’s worth of life-changing medical care. Your gift can even be deducted automatically — completely hassle-free!
- Go: Volunteer onboard. It doesn’t matter who you are or what your skills are, we have a place for you.
- Pray for Mercy Ships. Your personal prayers for our volunteers, patients and the organisation lift us up and sustain us. You can also add us to your church’s prayer list!
- Subscribe to our email newsletter. You’ll get updates straight from our hospital ship, incredible stories of our patients’ transformations and so much more. Plus, it’s free!
- Raise funds for Mercy Ships through challenge events or through your school. Get started today with our free resources!
- Explore ways your church can get involved. Find ideas in our church packs!
- Start your own Facebook fundraiser for Mercy Ships UK.
At Mercy Ships, we believe every person deserves the opportunity to lead a healthy, happy life, and that people’s access to safe, affordable, timely surgery shouldn’t be determined by where they were born.
If you believe that, too, please join us. With your help, we can change the odds in Africa.